Sunday, June 24, 2018

Comfort Zone


 New York Times, with its encyclopedic knowledge, had been a source of delight (or dismay) for as long as I can remember. A couple of months ago, I came across a blurb in the Books section that highlighted a novel by Martha Grimes. Having never heard of the author prior to this, the short paragraph peaked my interest, and I kept an eye out for its release. Little did I know there were 23 books preceding the latest Richard Jury adventure. I was going through a rough patch at the time, and drowning myself in quirky detective novels, rather than facing my problem seemed to be a viable solution. The more stress I was under, the quicker I went through the books. There were times when I went through a book in a day. Not because the books were amazing, or educational; but because it stopped me from overthinking. After my 8th book, I was released from my impending stress, and I let go of my maniac reading.

Two weeks ago, I picked it up again, and I am now 75% into my 15th. The characters became part of my every day life, if only because I spent more time with them, than with anyone else. Finishing the series became a symbol of finishing in life, as I was never great at seeing things through. I would start them off brilliantly, boasting would be accomplishments. Lists were created, and there were many. Yet as soon as a rough patch occurred, it was hasta la vista, mi amigo. Hence my renewed rigor to finish the series. If I can finish all 23 books, surely I can, oh, I don’t know, exercise, sleep at a reasonable time, excel at work, and more importantly, write every day?

Ah, the possibilities. 

Only 8 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment